Toxic Flowers And Cats: What You Need To Know

If you are a new cat owner, you may not realize that there are many types of flowers that are toxic to cats. Learning what types of flowers are toxic to cats, what the signs are that a cat ate a toxic flower and what to do if your cat exhibits some of these signs can be the difference between life and death. Here is some information that every cat owner should know about their cats and toxic flowers.

What Types of Flowers are Toxic to Cats?

There are many types of flowers that are poisonous to cats. Some of these flowers can cause a rash, some can cause vomiting and diarrhea, some can cause organ damage and the worse can cause death. Learning what flowers and plants are toxic to a cat is important so you don't have these types of flowers accessible to your furry friend. Some of the more common flowers that are toxic to a cat include:

  • Aster
  • Azalea
  • Baby's breath
  • Cala lily
  • Carnation
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Daffodil
  • Hydrangea
  • Lily
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Primrose
  • Tulip

What are the Signs that a Cat Ingested Toxic Flowers?

Despite your best efforts to keep your cat away from toxic plants, you may suspect that your cat has ingested something that is toxic to them. They may have escaped and been out wandering the neighborhood, or your husband may have brought you home flowers without either of your realizing that it contained poisonous ones. Regardless of how the cat got the flowers, knowing what signs to look for can help you determine whether there is a possibility that your cat ingested flowers that are toxic to her.

Different toxic flowers have different reactions in a cat. As such, there is not a comprehensive list of what signs you may see, as it varies based on the amount and type of flower eaten. However, vomiting and diarrhea are key signs that your cat ingest something that is giving her an upset stomach. Typically, when the cat vomits after eating toxic flowers, you will see parts of the flower mixed in with the vomit. This is a tell-tale sign that your cat has eaten flowers that don't agree with her. Other signs that indicate a cat may have eaten toxic flowers include foaming at the mouth, excessive drooling, swelling of the mouth, staggering, tremors, breathing difficulties, seizures and convulsions.

What Should Be Done if You Suspect a Cat Ate Toxic Flowers?

If your cat is exhibiting signs that it has eaten toxic flowers, you will want to take your cat to a vet center, pet hospital or emergency vet. It is best to do this one to two hours after the flowers have been ingested. If possible, bring along the flowers they may have been eating for identification, or any that they may have vomited up. If you are unsure if your cat ate flowers, but you suspect they may have, it is better to be safe than sorry. A veterinarian will typically give your cat activated charcoal to absorb any toxic matter that may be in her stomach. A medication such as sucralfate may also be given to help protect any damaged areas of the stomach. From there, the treatment will vary based on the type of flower ingested and/or the signs your cat is exhibiting. IV fluids, anti-inflammatory medications, oxygen or other treatments may be needed.

Every cat owner should be aware of the impact that flowers have on cats. However, new cat owners may not realize what types of flowers are toxic to cats or how serious the consequences can be. Educating yourself on this topic will help you to learn what you need to know about toxic flowers and cats.